Santiago, a young shepherd living in the hills of Andalucia, feels that there is more to life than his humble home and his flock. One day he finds the courage to follow his dreams into distant lands, each step galvanised by the knowledge that he is following the right path: his own. The people he meets along the way, the things he sees and the wisdom he learns are life-changing.
I think anyone who has heard of this book can safely say it
is one of the world’s most read and most iconic novels and I can see exactly
why.
I opened this at a time I felt a little confused and lost
and I have to admit it massively helped. Not in the sense that I had a great
epiphany and decided to roam the land with a herd a sheep, but it made me realise
just how everyone feels a little lost at times and it is this reason why a
novel like this is written and read in its millions! An incredible fable which
has gained worldwide status. Beautifully written, yet gets to the point of why
and how we should all listen to our hearts and really, do what is right for us.
I will definitely be picking this up again in the future and
recommending it.
Since finishing this I have also bought his latest ‘Hippie’,
along with ‘Eleven Minutes’.
A few excerpts which stayed with me:
“We are afraid of
losing what we have, whether it’s our life or our possessions and property. But
this fear evaporates when we understand that our life stories and history of
the world were written by the same hand.”
“…the omens will abandon
you, because you’ve stopped listening to them.”
“…love never keeps a
man from pursuing his destiny. If he abandons that pursuit, it’s because it
wasn’t true love…”
“Everyone has a
treasure that awaits him…unfortunately, very few follow the path laid out for
them – the path to their destinies, and to happiness. Most people see the world
as a threatening place, and, because they do, the world turns out, indeed, to
be a threatening place.”

Comments
Post a Comment